NOCCA students won awards this year in the following prestigious national and regional competitions:
- 4 students were recognized by the National Arts Recognition and Talent Search.
- 4 seniors were recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Competition as Finalists, 2 as Semi-Finalists, and 2 were named Commended Students.
- 3 seniors were recognized by the National Achievement Scholarship Program.
- 14 students in Creative Writing, Visual Arts and Media Arts received national honors and Gold Key recognition in the Scholastic Arts and Writing Competition.
- Jazz student Miles Berry was selected to the Thelonius Monk National Performing Arts High School All-Star Septet.
- Vocal students Garri Paul and Whitney Campbell placed second and third respectively in the women’s high school division of the National Association of Teachers of Singing Southern Region Auditions. Victor Paz tied for first place in the men’s high school division.
- 6 NOCCA students were selected valedictorian or salutatorian at their sending schools.
And at Celebration…
- The Helen A. Mervis Award for artistic and academic achievement and community service was awarded to Melaina Ricks.
- The Lisa Marie Catalanello Memorial Scholarship for visual arts achievement and generosity of spirit was awarded to Davin Roberson.
- The Daniel Price Memorial Scholarship for Aspiring Young Artists was awarded to Jeffrey Nguyen.
- Ellen H. Golodner M.D. Jelly Roll to Jam Scholarship in Jazz was awarded to Miles Berry.
- Seth Daniel P. Memorial Award for multi-disciplinary artistic accomplishment was awarded to Sydney Fortune.
- Emeril Lagasse Foundation Scholarship for achievement in Culinary Arts was awarded to Jessica Hartman.
- ASCAP Foundation Louis Prima Award presented by Mrs. Gia Prima was awarded to Miles Berry.
- Hurst Recordings Award for Outstanding Accomplishment in Audio Production was awarded to Emmanuel Chastain.
- Terri A. Bartlett Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Drama student Melaina Ricks.
- Wendell Pierce Scholarship was awarded to Drama student Rickey Allen Watson Jr.
- New Orleans Rotary Club Scholarship was awarded to Nicole Anderson and Annie Jefferson.
- Mickey Gil Satyricon Award in Musical Theatre was awarded to Sarah Clingenpeel.
- Broadway @ NOCCA Scholarship in Musical Theatre was awarded to Linsey Shubert.
- John August Otte Memorial Award in Visual Arts was awarded to Harrison Dorsey.
- Ingram Lee Foundation Scholarship in Culinary Arts was awarded to Alexandra Stadler.
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Lee and Kathy Randall Award in Creative Writing – Ruth Landry
- Madalyn and Robert Schenk Award in Culinary Arts – Anna Gowin
- Milly and George Denegre Award in Dance – Malerie Dempster
- Helen Hill Memorial Award in Media Arts – Lauren Armantrout
- Make It Funky! Award in Jazz – Hunter Burgamy
- Glennadora & James H. Perry Award in Vocal Music – Elizabeth Ellinghausen
- Moses Hogan Award in Classical Instrumental in honor of Willa Slater – Angelique Montes
- Freda M. Lupin Award in Musical Theatre – Elizabeth Carson
- Kuumba-Keener Award in Drama – Rickey Allen Watson Jr.
- Outstanding Graduate Award in Theatre Design – Caroline Barham
- The NOCCA Institute Collection Award (Visual Arts Purchase) – Davin Roberson and Brook Ann Bourgeois
Initially printed in The NOCCA Institute’s July 2013 Aspirations newsletter